We love to have talented performers entertain people on the streets of Downtown Courtenay!
There is a Street Entertainer Permit that must be applied for, at the City of Courtenay. Here are the guidelines for busking downtown:
The City of Courtenay regulates the performances of street entertainers in the City. To request a street entertainer permit: Complete the application form (see bottom of this page) and deliver to Courtenay City Hall, 830 Cliffe Avenue, Courtenay BC, along with a $25 application fee. You will be contacted to audition for the Downtown Courtenay Business Improvement Association.
• Performances are permitted between 10:00 am and 10:00 pm, seven days a week
• Performances are limited to a maximum of two hours in any one location. You cannot repeat a performance at the same location on the same day.
Locations: There are five designated locations. Private property is not covered by the Street Entertainer Program.
Unrestricted location: allows amplification audible beyond 75 metres; no amplified vocals
• Sid Williams Theatre fountain plaza
Restricted Location: no amplification except non-acoustic instruments. No sound audible beyond 75 metres
• Comox Valley Centre for the Arts (Comox Valley Art Gallery) Plaza
• 5th and England - north east corner (old Palace Theatre site)
• 5th and England – north west corner (near parking lot at 407 5th Street)
• 4th and England – south west corner (near municipal parking lot)
Dos and Don’ts:
• Ensure your ID badge is clearly displayed during your performance
• Remove all litter and garbage generated by the performance
• Keep the sidewalk clear for pedestrians
• Feel free to have an open container for donations and/or sell recordings during your performance
• Vacate the premises if requested by a Peace Officer, i.e. Bylaw Enforcement or other City representative
• For groups: ensure all group members are included on your permit. Group performances must include at least two of the group members
• Use profanity
• Use dangerous props
• Use props in a way that could injure or cause damage to the public
• Consume, or perform under the influence of, alcohol or drugs
• Aggressively solicit for donations, verbally or otherwise
• Perform at a location that has already been booked for a special event, unless permitted by the City or event organizer
Download the application form here:Street Entertainer Application